Surely there are few people who do not like tomatoes. These tasty vegetables are very nutritious and saturate the human body with useful substances. And perhaps it is not a secret for anyone that the vegetables grown by themselves are much more delicious than the store ones. But what if you do not have a vegetable garden where you could grow tomatoes? You can organize the cultivation of tomatoes on the balcony.
We invite you to learn how to grow balcony tomatoes. The article will provide specific recommendations and will consider all the nuances and stages of growing tomatoes on the balcony.
What sort of tomatoes to choose
There is not enough space on the balcony, so the variety of tomatoes should be chosen carefully. Thus, the variety must be short with large and abundant fruits. The following varieties of tomato are suitable for growing on the balcony:
- Cascade Ed.
- Red Pearl.
Particularly noteworthy are the hybrid varieties of tomatoes, which were bred by the breeders with the wishes of the gardeners:
- F1 Balcony red is a ripening variety. The ripening period of tomatoes begins 3 months after the emergence of seedlings. Fetus size is medium. Tomato has a pleasant sugary taste. For the good development of the bush does not need to tear off stepchildren. The growth of the bush is up to 30 cm.
- Pinocchio is another variety of tomatoes, which has already come to taste in many garden gardeners. This variety is grown because it is not whimsical, as well as for the earlier ripening of tomatoes.
- Balconi Yellow - a hybrid sort of tomato. The bush reaches a height of 45 cm. Rigging. Fruits differ in bright lemon color. Variety suitable for conservation.
- Balcony miracle - this hybrid variety is also precocious, but also prolific. The height of the bush is 50 cm. From one bush it is possible to collect about 2 kg of fruits. The average weight of each tomato on average is 65 g.
On the balcony you can also grow tall varieties of tomato. Such varieties as the White Beetle and Bull Heart are excellently developed in such an unusual environment. The fruits of these varieties of tomato juicy and fleshy. For the cultivation of tall tomatoes need to prepare large pots. They will need to be installed on the floor.
Preparing a balcony for growing tomatoes
Arrangement of a miniature garden on the balcony can be arranged only on the condition that it goes to the south-west or south-east. The balcony, located on the north side, is not suitable for growing plants, as the sun shines in his direction only 3 hours a day. The southern side will not work either, since there is too much sun on such a balcony, which also adversely affects the development of the tomato bushes.
If the pot with a tomato bush is heavy and needs to be installed on the floor, then it is better to place it closer to the wall of the balcony or railing. It should be borne in mind that tomatoes on the balcony do not like sudden gusts of wind, because of them the growth of bushes slows down. If you decide to plant ampelnye varieties of tomatoes, then they should be grown in hanging pots. But in order to care for the tomatoes did not cause unnecessary trouble, hang the pots should not be very high. Tall tomato bushes can be attached to trellis made of plastic, rope and wood. In turn, the trellis is better to fix on the free wall, as far as possible protected from the wind.
Together with tomatoes on the balcony you can plant spicy herbs. This composition looks very harmonious, as well as the grass will scare off pests from the bushes tomato. For example, herbs such as mint, curly and regular parsley, lettuce, celery and oregano coexist with tomatoes.
Preparation of soil and seeds
To achieve maximum fruiting tomatoes on the balcony it is important to properly prepare the soil for sowing. If there is no time for self-preparation of the soil, then you can purchase a special soil mixture consisting of sod and humus in equal shares. Also, to improve the friability of the soil, peat or sawdust is added to it.Important! Excellent fertilizers for tomatoes are saltpeter, wood ash, potassium sulfate and superphosphate.
It may seem to an aspiring gardener that growing tomatoes on the balcony is a thankless job. But, if all the initial stages are done correctly, then tomato bushes will need minimal care in the future. After preparing the soil, it's time to start preparing the seeds for sowing to obtain seedlings. The beginning of this work falls on the end of February - the beginning of March.
Start by soaking the tomato seeds. Place them on a cloth, cover with warm water and leave the seed warm until germination.
There are several ways of planting tomato seeds in the ground:
- Fill the special cups with soil and pour boiling water over it, sowing can be done only after the ground has cooled completely. If you do not have the opportunity to purchase such cups, then you can grow tomatoes on the balcony in plastic bottles. To do this, cut off the neck of them, cover it with soil, make holes and place seeds in them. If you first germinate tomato seeds, then you will need to put 1 seed in a cup, and not 2-3 germinated seeds. It is not necessary to make holes in the glass, as there is little soil in the cup and all the liquid will be absorbed by the plants. Cups of crops should be placed in heat and cover with cellophane. After the sprouts appear, 2 - 3 days should pass and the crops should be shifted to a cool place with artificial lighting. Watering is carried out as the soil dries.
- Before sowing, tomato seeds are treated with a solution of potassium permanganate. Then they should be placed in a wetted cloth on a plate and wrapped in cellophane. The environment in which the seeds will germinate should be warm and moist. Then, the germinated seeds of tomatoes are placed in the soil, covered with glass and again in a warm place. After the tomato sprouts seem to be from the ground, the containers should be moved to the window sill to provide the seedlings with enough light. Watering is carried out as the soil dries. It is important to add tomato sprouts with warm water, preferably settled.
Transplanting into containers
Usually a month is enough for the development of strong tomato seedlings. And then there comes a period when it needs to be transplanted into spacious pots or containers. If you plant tomatoes in long containers, then the distance between the plants should be 25 cm. Now consider how to grow tomatoes on the balcony step by step.
In order to ensure good drainage, expanded clay or battered tiles should be placed at the bottom of the container / pot. Soil can be enriched with organic fertilizers. Then the pot needs to be filled with 1/3 of the soil mixture and a tomato seedling should be laid. Spread the roots to the side and gently apply to the soil. Then gradually pour the soil into the pot, compacting it with your hands. Do not fill the ground to the top of the pot by 1/3. Lightly tamp the soil and pour plenty of warm water on tomato seedlings, do it slowly, so that the moisture is absorbed into the soil evenly.Important! Although only self-pollinating tomatoes can be grown on the balcony, to speed up the pollination process, you can slightly shake the flowers or brush them.
After transplanting seedlings, it can not be touched during the first week. So, you give tomato bushes the chance to take root.
Low-growing varieties of tomatoes can be planted on 2 - 3 saplings next. So, will form a lush and beautiful bush. All dry and apparently sick leaves should be cut off to prevent the spread of disease. In the period of appearance of the first fruits from the top you need to remove the color. This is done to ensure that moisture and nutrients fall into the developing fruits.
After the fruits begin to turn pink, they need to be removed from the bush and placed in a box for further ripening. In this case, the beneficial properties of the fruit will not be lost, and new fruits will form on the bushes, while the previous ones will not take the juices from them.
Feeding and care features
In order for the bushes to develop well and color formed on them, it is important to carry out timely feeding of the plants. Start doing it in April. To do this, you can mineral fertilizers.
If you decide to grow tall varieties on the balcony, then the size of the bushes will be correspondingly large, and so that they do not break under their own weight, you need to carry out their garter. If there was a lingering spring and there is still no heat on the loggia, you will have to bring the pots of plants into the house for the night and bring it out to the street for the day.
For the prevention of late blight and other diseases of the tomato, it is necessary to treat the bushes with the composition of potassium permanganate and garlic. To do this, 0.5 liters of water, dilute 0.5 tbsp. l crushed garlic and 0.5 g of potassium permanganate. Another option for disease prevention is to spray the bushes with phytosporin solution.
Fertilizing with fertilizers and watering should be done every week. Starting from the second stage of development of tomatoes, bushes are actively formed, firing side shoots. Leave 2-3 stalks, and the rest of the shoots, or as they are called, stepchildren, need to be cut off or cut off.
After the fruit brushes are formed, the lower leaves should be cut. If you do not cut the bushes, they will have a very large volume and as a result, the inflorescences will not be laid.A warning! Some gardeners spend a complete pruning of leaves. However, it is not advisable to do this, since the synthesis of organic materials is disrupted by complete trimming.
Cutting steps need to be very careful not to damage the stem. Trimming or pinching is best done in the morning. Leave 4 bundles of ovaries on each stem, and pinch the top of the head.
A few secrets of growing
Balcony cultivation of seedlings and subsequently bushes tomato is different from the garden. We invite you to read a few more secrets:
- If your loggia is not glazed, then you should plant tomatoes no earlier than April, provided that the temperature does not fall below 23 ° C during the day and 13 ° C at night.
- In order to avoid the development of fungal diseases on a closed balcony, it is important to maintain a certain level of humidity in the range of 60-65%. To do this, you need to systematically air the balcony.
- Watering should be only warm water.
- For the development of powerful and high bushes need to regularly fertilize them with organic and nitrogen fertilizer. But do not overdo it. Otherwise, powerful bushes will remain virtually barren. The optimal period between supplements is 10 days.
- To the stems of the bush are not broken under the weight of the fruits they need to be tied to a support.
- To quickly formed a bush you need to tear off small roots. To do this, gently pull the plant up, as if pulling it out of the soil.
So, as practice shows and photo examples given in this article - to grow tomatoes on the balcony is a feasible business for every amateur gardener. The process of growing tomatoes will bring you not only a good harvest, but also positive emotions. Such a discharge after a busy day in a busy city can help you protect yourself from psychological disorders.
We invite you to watch the video, which shows step by step how to grow tomatoes on the balcony: