Using the correct and proven fertilizers, you can significantly improve the quality of home cucumbers. Such supplements have an impact on the size of the fruit and the amount of the crop. They also directly affect the taste of cucumbers. Fertilizers can increase the keeping quality of fruits, as the composition of the pulp is optimized.
It is very convenient that today there is a huge amount of ready-made complex fertilizers, having in its composition all the necessary minerals. Such fertilizers do not need to be mixed with other components. They are easy to use, because usually they are simply mixed with water or sprinkled on the soil. This saves gardeners from additional worries. To independently prepare a mineral mixture, you need to know the proportions and follow them exactly. Such a universal fertilizer is “Spring”. This tool has gained great popularity, as it has a positive effect on cucumber seedlings, making them strong and healthy. Further in the article we will look at the composition of this sub-feed, and also see how to use it correctly.
What you need cucumbers
It is impossible to say exactly which fertilizer is most suitable for cucumbers. The fact is that the composition of the feed must vary depending on the method of cultivation (greenhouse or open ground) and soil fertility. It is also important to consider what nutrients are necessary for cucumbers during the growth of seedlings, after planting in the ground and during fruiting.
Given the needs of cucumbers, the most popular are such fertilizers:
- manure and other organic supplements;
- potassium-based fertilizers;
- nitrogen fertilizers;
Fertilizers for greenhouse cucumbers
In order for cucumbers to grow well in greenhouse conditions, it is necessary to strictly follow the proportions of the introduction of individual microelements. The development of the fruit will deteriorate significantly, if some substances will be more than you need, and others less. The most popular fertilizers for cucumbers are phosphate, potash and nitrogen. Using them, you should consider the needs of cucumbers.
When growing cucumbers in the greenhouse, the plants simply need nitrogen. Such fertilizers have a very positive effect on the growth of green mass and help to form fruits. Nutrition, which includes nitrogen is used throughout the growing season. Also, nitrogen fertilizers are great for preparing the soil in the fall or spring.
Phosphoric fertilizers need cucumbers in order to form the ovary, and therefore the fruit. Determine the lack of phosphorus can be on the leaves of plants. If the extreme parts of the sheets change color to dark, it means that it is time to add this substance.Tip! The natural source of phosphorus is wormwood, hawthorn and rowan berries. On their basis, gardeners independently prepare compost.
Potassium fertilizers are applied throughout the entire growth of plants. This substance helps to transport other minerals from the roots throughout the bush. Also, potassium is responsible for the resistance of cucumbers to diseases and pests. It improves the taste of the fruit and makes plants resistant to temperature changes.
Most of all mineral fertilizers need cucumbers that are grown on the balcony. The fact is that the soil in the garden has the ability to independently regulate its composition. Growing cucumbers in a small box or pot, you will need to make a sufficient amount of nutrients. In this case, it is better to use special complex fertilizers containing all the most important minerals. The easiest way to use liquid fertilizer. Even an inexperienced gardener can easily handle this type of fertilizer.
Top dressing of cucumbers in open ground
Cucumbers planted at the site, it is customary to feed organic fertilizers. They can be prepared independently using improvised substances. Experienced gardeners recommend using for this chicken dung or manure. To prepare a nutrient solution based on cow dung, it is necessary to combine 10 liters of water and 1 liter of manure in one tank. This mixture is watered on each cucumber bush at the rate of 1 liter per plant. Feeding cucumbers with chicken manure is carried out in the same way.Important! For the preparation of solutions should use hot or warm water. Then the mixture is cooled and carried out watering.
Very good wood ash affects cucumbers. It is simply sprinkled on the soil, and then watered, so that useful substances penetrate inside. Effectively used for feeding cucumbers yeast. Fertilizers based on them contain proteins, iron and essential amino acids. A similar effect on the seedlings of cucumbers are feeding, made from ordinary bread.
Properties fertilizer for cucumbers "Spring"
Fertilizer "Spring" contains many minerals that need cucumbers. It is used for watering plants in the form of an aqueous solution. Usually “Spring” is packed in packs of 50 grams each, but you can also find large packs with a top-dressing of 1 kg each. Fertilizer is easily dissolved in water, leaving no grain. Suitable not only for cucumbers, but also for zucchini and pumpkin. It can be used throughout the entire growth of plants.
The composition of the fertilizer "Spring":
- 15% potassium.
- 13% phosphorus.
- 9% nitrogen.
Many gardeners use this fertilizer and noticed a number of important advantages:
- increase the yield of cucumbers;
- provides plants with all necessary microelements;
- does not contain chlorine and other harmful components.
The use of fertilizer "Spring"
Fertilizer can be used to enrich the soil with nutrients before planting cucumbers. Also with its help prepare the ground in the fall. If the soil was previously used and fertilized, then about 45-50 grams of the substance will be needed per 1 square meter. If this area is used for growing vegetables for the first time, then 60-70 grams of fertilizer should be applied.Attention! If the soil is already quite fertile, then the previous stage can be skipped.
It is more effective to bring "Spring" immediately into the hole. To this end, up to 15 grams of fertilizer are placed in the pits prepared for planting cucumbers. This can be done in 2 ways:
- The fertilizer is mixed with the soil and placed at the bottom of the pit.
- Fertilizer is brought to the bottom of the fossa, and then lightly sprinkle it with soil. Only then can you plant seedlings or seeds.
During the growing season, fertilizer can be applied no more than 3 times. For 1 square meter of bed you need only 20 grams of "Spring". For the first time, cucumbers are fed during the formation of ovaries. Further, make feeding every 2 weeks or according to need.
It is possible to make this fertilizer both in the dry way, and carrying out watering of plants. In the first case, "Spring" is scattered on the surface in a dry form. Then it is necessary to dig up the soil, so that the fertilizer falls into the depths. If the soil is not wet enough, then after that it must be watered. Fertilizer solution "Spring" is used to use in the period of formation of the first leaves on the plants, as well as during the growth of green mass.Attention! Prepare the mixture according to the instructions placed on the package. Prepare a solution plentifully watered each bush.
Signs of excess nutrients
Even using complex fertilizers, it is not always possible to guess the ratio of the amount of minerals. An excess of even the most useful substances can badly affect the growth and development of cucumbers. As a result, it will be useless to count on a good harvest. And an excessive amount of certain minerals can negatively affect human health.
To help seedlings in time, it is necessary to monitor the condition of the sprouts. Signs of excess fertilizer may be as follows:
- Because of the large amount of potassium, the plants absorb nitrogen poorly. As a result, the shoots become thin and lifeless, the leaves brighten and can gradually dry out;
- excess nitrogen contributes to the fact that the stems of cucumbers become too thick, the green mass is rapidly increasing, and the ripening of fruits, by contrast, is significantly delayed. Such fruits will be very small. They may also contain nitrate, which is dangerous for the human body. Immunity in cucumbers is weakened, because of which they often suffer from various fungal diseases;
- an excess amount of phosphorus immediately affects the condition of the leaves. Non-critical spots appear on them, and then the foliage falls off completely. The plant begins to poorly absorb potassium, and the aging process is much faster.
Signs of lack of mineral elements
Determining nutritional deficiencies is also possible upon careful examination of the plants. Noticing the following signs, you must immediately change the composition of the feed:
- Lack of nitrogen affects the general condition of the plants. They become exhausted and lethargic. Due to the lack of this element, the stems will be thin and firm. Leaves grow dull and become light-green. As a result, the fruits will grow small, and they will be very small. Fruits will grow and develop very slowly. Also, sharpening of the tips of the fruit can be added to the signs of nitrogen deficiency;
- An insufficient amount of magnesium can be identified by fragile and burnt leaves. They acquire a pale green or yellow color. Spots appear on the lower leaves;
- the lack of potassium first appears on the leaves of cucumbers. A light yellow rim forms at their edges. The leaves themselves darken and become round. Fruits grow poorly in length, noticeably rounded. Near the stem of cucumbers narrowed. The plant itself quickly loses strength and begins to fade;
- The need for cucumbers in calcium will be noticeable by the characteristic bright bands on the leaves. Over time, they are able to expand. Such a phenomenon can cause the leaves to become brittle and fade over time. The inflorescences begin to rot, and in the future, the disease can go to the root system and the plant as a whole;
- an insufficient amount of phosphorus can lead to the formation of dry spots on the leaves. In this case, not the upper leaves suffer, but the lower leaves. As a result, the plant ceases to grow normally, and all the ovaries and flowers just fall off.
As we have seen from this article, proper nutrition plays a very important role for cucumbers. Each gardener selects the way of feeding, which is most suitable for his plot and varieties of cucumbers. It is very convenient to use ready-made complex fertilizers, such as "Spring". It contains enough nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus for cucumbers.
It is also used to fertilize squash, squash and pumpkin. It is possible to make this feed in the fall and spring to prepare the site for planting cucumbers. Also, it is used to irrigate sprouts and feed in dry form. It is very important to fertilize cucumbers with this preparation during the formation of ovaries. Plants also need to be fed during active fruiting. The instructions on the package will tell you how to apply the fertilizer correctly.