Everyone has heard about the benefits of viburnum berries: they have antioxidant properties, cleanse the body of toxins and toxins, improve blood composition, reduce blood pressure, adjust the work of the gastrointestinal tract, and are successfully used in cosmetology. And viburnum is an excellent stimulant for the immune system, so it needs to be eaten in the autumn and winter, when the body especially needs support. To preserve the berries for the whole year, they make various preparations.
You can learn about how to make red viburnum, how to make blanks with valuable berries for the winter, from this article.
How to pick red berries
Kalina red useful properties which are difficult to overestimate, contains a lot of vitamins and minerals. To save all these substances as long as possible, you need to be able to properly collect and harvest red berries.
You can find a bush of viburnum in almost any region, because this plant is unpretentious, able to develop in different climatic zones. It is easy to learn viburnum: when there is no greenery in the garden, all the leaves have fallen, and the flowers have bloomed, the only decoration of the plot remains - a small tree with scarlet clusters of small berries.
While it's warm outside, the berries are not very tasty: tart and bitter. But after the first frosts, the taste qualities of viburnum vary greatly; it becomes sweet and very fragrant.Attention! It is necessary to collect red viburnum after the first few frosts, otherwise you will not avoid bitterness.
Various dishes are prepared not only from red berries, the bark of the shrub, twigs, leaves, viburnum flowers are also suitable for food. All parts of the plant also have a beneficial effect on the human body, because they have healing properties.
Collect viburnum red need to properly:
- choose for this fine day, when there is no rain and snow;
- clusters cut with sharp scissors or shears, carefully holding them so that valuable berries do not crumble;
- fold clusters of viburnum neatly, in a single layer;
- after collecting, you need to dry the viburnum, hanging the bunches on a rope in a dark and dry room.
Recipes for the winter of red viburnum
You can cook anything from viburnum: it is used as a filling for pies or pies, added to salads and snacks, squeezed fruit drinks are squeezed out of berries, boiled kissels and compotes, used in winemaking and make wonderful desserts.
You can save valuable vitamins in Kalina in several ways:
- Freeze the berries, peeled from the twigs and laid out in plastic bags.
- Dry the viburnum in the oven at 60 degrees, additionally opening the door.
- Put in a clean pan and put it in the fridge - so the berries can lie up to six months.
Viburnum blanks are popular because after a special treatment the berries become not only healthy, but also very tasty. It is much more pleasant in the winter to eat jam or drink sweet juice, than to chew dry berries.
The method of preparation of viburnum juice
In this preparation, the highest concentration of beneficial vitamins and microelements is found, Kalin juice is usually treated for colds and strengthened by it immunity. If desired, you can add sugar, syrup or sweeten it with honey in the juice. Fans of sour, can preserve pure viburnum juice, without additives.
There are many recipes for juice from viburnum red, but the cooking technology in them is about the same:
- Kalina is thoroughly washed, the berries are cleared of twigs and other debris.
- Now you need to squeeze the juice. To do this, first, the berries are crushed using a blender or grinder (you can use a juicer, but this will be more waste). Then Kalin puree fray through a sieve and squeeze a thick juice through several layers of gauze.
- For each liter of juice, add about 130 grams of sugar (you can replace it with honey). Put viburnum juice on the stove and, stirring, bring to a boil.
- The finished juice and viburnum poured into sterile jars and quickly roll them sealed lids.
Tip! Juice made from viburnum, you can not only drink in its pure form, it is added to the wine for a savory aroma, used in the preparation of desserts, such as, marshmallow, jelly or marmalade.
How to make jam from berries of viburnum red
Kalina gives dishes a unique flavor and a very peculiar taste. Such properties of berries are especially appreciated by lovers of jam. Jam can be prepared from pure viburnum, and from a mixture of this berry with other fruits or fruits - there are many recipes.
Viburnum jam with sugar
To prepare such a winter harvesting will require:
- 1 kg of viburnum;
- 1.3 kg of granulated sugar;
- 250 ml of water.
To make jam, you need to perform the following steps:
- Wash Kalina and dry the berries.
- Blanch the fruit in boiling water for a few minutes.
- Dissolve sugar in warm water to get syrup.
- Pour the berries with sugar syrup and mix.
- Leave the candied viburnum for 10-12 hours at room temperature.
- Now you need to bring the jam to a boil, periodically removing from it the foam. After that, pour the hot billet in sterile jars.
Kalina with oranges
Jam with the addition of orange citrus gets a rich, very bright shade. Such a blank will be a real decoration for the winter table, in addition, it will be very useful and fragrant.
To cook viburnum jam with oranges, you need to take:
- 1.5 kg of viburnum berries;
- 2-3 large oranges;
- 2 kg of granulated sugar.
The whole cooking process consists of several steps:
- The berries are washed and moved.
- Kalina is ground by blender or meat grinder.
- Sugar is added to the resulting puree, everything is thoroughly mixed - after a while the sugar should completely dissolve.
- Oranges need to be cut into slices and also grind blender.
- It remains to mix all the ingredients and roll up the jam in jars.
Jam with apple and viburnum
As mentioned above, red viburnum in its pure form can not be eaten by everyone, but there are excellent recipes, where this berry acts as an aromatic additive.
For Kalinovo-apple jam, you need the following ingredients:
- 2 kg of berries;
- 5 kg of any apples (it is better to take sweet or sour-sweet fruits);
- 5 kg of granulated sugar.
Making jam is easy:
- Washed viburnum plucked from the twigs and folded in a wide bowl or pan.
- Hands or wooden pestle berries pounded to a state of smooth mashed potatoes.
- Now, the resulting puree is filtered through several layers of cheesecloth to get pure juice. Further only juice of viburnum will be used, puree can be thrown away.
- Apples are washed, removed from the core and cut into thin slices.
- Plates of apples spread on the bottom of the pan in several layers, covered with sugar. Now you need to cook the apples on very low heat until the sugar is completely turned into a syrup.
- When the apple jam has cooled, pour viburnum juice into it and stir it. Now you need to bring the jam to a boil and pour into clean banks.
Viburnum jam with vanilla and lemon
Such a jam has no chance to go unnoticed, because it has an unusual taste and a very bright aroma. For the preparation of this delicacy, in addition to sugar, water and viburnum, you need to take only one lemon and a bag of vanilla sugar.
Cooking viburnum jam is very simple:
- The berries are sorted and washed in saline. The solution is prepared from a liter of water and a tablespoon of regular table salt.
- Now you need to prepare sugar syrup: dissolve sugar in water and bring the mass to a boil.
- Whole viburnum berries are put into the boiling syrup, the stove is turned off and the jam is left to cool for 5-6 hours.
- With lemon, you need to remove the zest and squeeze the juice.
- Berries are extracted from sugar syrup and lemon peel is added there. This composition should be brought to a boil, then strain through a sieve.
- The syrup is boiled again with viburnum for eight minutes. Then cool at least four hours.
- The last stage: the jam is brought to a boil and cooked to full readiness with constant stirring.
- It remains to add lemon juice, pour out vanillin, mix everything and pour into sterile jars.
Unusual jam with pumpkin
This preparation for the winter will definitely appeal to lovers of culinary experiments, because the pumpkin and the red berries of the vibrant viburnum are combined here. For this extraordinary jam will need:
- 1 kg of viburnum;
- 1 kg of pumpkin;
- 1.5 kg of sugar;
- 1 liter of water.
Prepare the dish as follows:
- Washed whole clusters and clean them from debris and leaves.
- Pumpkin is cleaned and cut into small cubes, which are simply lightly boiled with the addition of water.
- Pumpkin and viburnum, together with the twigs, are ground with a blender or crushed using a meat grinder.
- Sugar is poured into the puree and wait a few hours until it is completely dissolved.
- It remains to cook the jam, stirring it and removing the foam. Usually 40 minutes on low heat.
The finished jam from viburnum laid out in jars and rolled or closed airtight lids.
To ice cream, jelly or cakes very well add bright viburnum syrup. It’s easy to cook, you just need to take water, berries and sugar. It is advisable to blanch the berries, then chop and mix with sugar.
Boil the mixture over low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved, after which you can add a little lemon juice and cork the syrup into bottles.
This delicacy is very much loved by children, and if we prepare a marshmallow with viburnum, it becomes not only tasty, but also incredibly useful. For pastila need washed berries, sugar and lemon juice or citric acid.
For juice is better to use a juicer. The berries are passed through it, the juice is poured into a bowl with a thick or double bottom and cooked until the consistency of the berry puree is obtained.
Now you need to pour the sugar and citric acid, mix and cook until even more thickens. On the baking sheet, covered with parchment, or in special forms, viburnum mass is poured. After cooling, the pastille should easily get out of shape, it becomes stretchy and dense.
There are a lot of recipes for winter preparations of viburnum red: this is a berry with sugar, jam, and various fruit drinks and syrups.
If this beautiful bush grows in the garden, you should definitely try at least one recipe, because viburnum is very tasty and incredibly useful!