Peanuts in sugar is a natural delicacy, which successfully replaces other types of snacks and does not require large expenditures both in time and in material means. It can be easily and quickly cooked at home.
Which peanut is better to choose for cooking
Freshness of the product significantly affects its taste, so when choosing a peanut you need to pay attention to its appearance, storage method and its duration. Stale or spoiled beans are not stored for long, and on top of that they can harm health.
It is worth paying attention to several aspects.
- Externally, peanut beans must be clean and free from damage: dark spots, chips. It is advisable to take peanuts by weight in order to be able to evaluate the appearance of the product. It is better to buy nuts without the shell, but with the skin.
- The kernels must be dry, do not smell of damp or leave a feeling of moisture on their hands. Such a product may be spoiled by mold, will not be stored for a long time.
- The aroma of fresh peanuts is bright, tart and pronounced. If notes of dampness or acid are mixed in - the nut is old, possibly damaged by mold.
- Peanuts with small kernels - Indian - have a pronounced taste, while varieties with large kernels are almost tasteless with a faint odor.
The best peanuts are always sold in markets or in specialized stores. Supermarkets offer nuts in an opaque package with various additives, it is cleaned and pre-processed, in such conditions it is impossible to determine the freshness of the peanut, to assess its color and smell. This increases the risk of buying low-quality goods with low taste.
How to make peanuts in sugar at home
Such a delicacy, like peanuts in sugar, can be purchased ready-made at the store, but it is much more useful to cook it at home. All you need is three ingredients: peanuts, sugar and water. Relatively little time and the benefits and quality of the finished product can be sure. Sweet beans can be prepared in two ways: in a glaze and burned sugar.
Peanuts in sugar coating
To prepare the dessert you will need:
- peanuts - 200 g;
- water - 1/3 cup;
- sugar - 0.5 cups.
Cooking time: 15 minutes.
- Brown peanuts should be fried in a pan for 3-5 minutes over low heat. The beans should heat up and begin to emit a pleasant tart flavor.
- The next step is to pour water into a glass of sugar, mix a little to get sweet gruel. It is necessary to pour it into the pan with peanuts, without ceasing to stir.
- Stirring should be constant so that each bean is evenly glazed. It is important not to miss the moment when the mass begins to thicken, you need to pay attention and get ready to turn off the fire. When the moisture is almost gone - peanuts are ready.
- Dessert from the griddle should be put on a separate plate, allowed to cool and dry. So it looks like in finished form.
This snack is suitable for tea, coffee or as an independent dessert. It should be used with caution in people with peanut allergies or diabetes.Attention! For children, peanuts in sugar will be an excellent substitute for sweets and other factory sweets, but they should not get carried away.
Peanuts in burnt sugar
The recipe for peanuts in burnt sugar practically does not differ from the previous one. This method gives the dessert a soft caramel flavor, the saturation of which can be adjusted by the duration of cooking. It will require:
- peanuts - 2 glasses;
- sugar - 200 g;
- water - 100 g
Cooking time: 15 minutes.
- Peanuts, not peeling from the skin, you need to fry over low heat. It should warm up and begin to emit a strong smell. This stage will take 4-5 minutes. Oil can not add, you just need to calcine the beans.
- In a separate container you need to mix the sugar with water. It is desirable that the crystals began to gradually dissolve. Pour this mixture onto a clean, hot frying pan and heat for 5 minutes. Sugar should get a light brown tint.
- As soon as the sugar gets the desired shade, you can immediately pour peanuts into it, stirring constantly. It is important to monitor the consistency of the caramel, and when all the beans are covered with sugar crystals, you can turn off the fire. It is necessary to immediately transfer the beans to another container so that they cool down, and the caramel grabs.
- Nuts will be soft brown, after cooling, they can be served with tea.
You can choose the color and taste of caramel yourself: fry it more or less. It is important not to burn the sugar, otherwise it will acquire an unpleasant bitter taste.
Calorie content of peanuts in sugar
Sugar itself is a high-calorie product, and in a mixture with peanuts, the caloric content increases. In 100 g of delicacy - 490 kcal. This amount is approximately equal to a glass of nuts. Carbohydrates in this portion - 43 g - is about 30% of the daily requirement. There is also a lot of fat here - 37.8 g, which is equivalent to 50% of the daily intake.
People on a diet should not use this sweetness or limit its consumption to a small handful per day. The product has a high glycemic index, and these are fast carbohydrates, which are easily digested and turn into body fat, without having to spend it. Children and people with diabetes, too, should not abuse the delicacy.
Terms and conditions of storage
Caramel tends to melt, so it is best not to store peanuts in the area of open sunlight or in a hot room. Low humidity will provide bean protection against mold. The best place to store food is the fridge. In it, he can stand up to several months.Comment! It is necessary to place the dessert in a closed container to protect it from extraneous odors.
Other cooking options
The taste of sweetness can be varied and make it a complete dessert. There are several supplements that have come up with a lot of recipes.
- Honey. Some honey can be added to the water when cooking caramel or directly to the pan. This will give the nuts a special flavor. Honey can not be subjected to heat treatment for a long time, so it is better to add it at the end.
- Lemon acid. You can also make sour caramels at the sugar roasting stage: add it to the sugar-water mixture and mix thoroughly. Enough half a teaspoon, otherwise the acid will kill the whole taste.
- Fruit Juices. They can be added instead of water or slightly diluted so that the taste does not turn out to be cloying. It is better to choose apple or cherry juice without pulp. Proportion of water to make 1/1 (a quarter cup of water and the same juice).
Fantasy in these recipes is not limited to the listed additives, it all depends on personal preferences.
Peanuts in sugar is an excellent substitute for purchased desserts. Preferring homemade sweets, you can save your health, be confident in their composition and change the recipe to your taste. Home-made delicacies do not require a lot of effort, money and costly products.