Pear is a fruit crop that can be grown both in the south and in regions with an unstable climate. When choosing a seedling it is necessary to consider frost resistance, taste and resistance to diseases. The best representative for cultivation in the Central region is the Rogneda variety. Pear unpretentious, autumn ripening. It is appreciated for juicy, fragrant fruits of a rounded shape. Description, photos and reviews of pear Rogneda give a complete picture of the frost-resistant variety.
Rogned Pear Description
Rogned variety grown by Russian scientists by crossing pears Forest Beauty and Theme. For many years of research, Rogned pear has been included in the State Register and recommended for cultivation in regions with an unstable climate.
Rogned pear belongs to medium-grade varieties. The height of an adult tree is no more than 5 m. The wide-pyramidal crown is compact, formed of slightly curved, brown-olive shoots. The compactness of the crown is due to the slow growth of the branches and the small formation of young shoots.
The tree is densely leafy. Oblong, dark emerald leaves have an average size and serrations on the edges.
Rogned pear - a ripening variety, autumn ripening period. The first fruits appear at 4 years after planting, at the end of August.
Rounded fruits are located on a thick stalk. They have a wax surface and a light yellow color with a delicate pink blush. The variety is able to crumble after over-ripening, therefore it is impossible to delay the harvest. Pear fruits are recommended to be removed 2 weeks before full maturity and laid in a dark place before ripening.
Fruits weighing 120 g are covered with thin, but dense skin, have juicy, fragrant pulp of cream color. The fruits contain:
- acids - 0.15%;
- sugar - 7.5%;
- dry substances - 13.7%.
A special feature of Rogneda pear is the nutmeg aroma, very reminiscent of the smell of southern varieties. Due to the sweet taste and delicate flavor, pears are consumed fresh, used to prepare fruit salads, as well as for various preservation: compotes, jams and preserves. Due to the high sugar content, the variety is used in winemaking.
Pros and cons of Rogneda pears
Rogneda pear has gained popularity among gardeners for its positive qualities. These include:
- early maturity;
- immunity to diseases;
- resistance to cold and short drought;
- unpretentiousness in growing and care;
- high yield;
- universality in application;
- good appearance and light muscatel;
- shelf life of fresh fruit is 3 months.
Optimal conditions for growing
In order for the Rogned pear to quickly develop and bring a generous harvest, it is planted in a well-lit place, protected from gusty winds. The soil on the site should be light, fertile, with groundwater deposition at a depth of 2-3 m.
Wet heavy soil leads to rotting of the roots and death of the plant. To the pear enough light, it is planted at a distance of 3 m from buildings and 5 m from other trees.
Planting and caring for Rogned pear
Seedlings are best purchased from trusted suppliers or in nurseries. On a young tree, the root system must be well developed and be healthy, without mechanical damage the trunk with a diameter of at least 1.5 cm. Plants with a closed root system can be planted in spring, summer or autumn. Saplings of pears with open roots adapt longer to a new place, so they can be planted in the spring, before the foliage has blossomed, and in the fall, a month before the onset of cold weather.
Sapling pear varieties Rogned purchase at 2 years of age, before buying, you must read the description of the variety and view photos.
For rapid growth and development, it is necessary to carry out the correct landing. To do this, 2 months before planting pears prepare the hole. The pit is dug 80 cm wide and 60 cm deep. The excavated earth is mixed with humus and mineral fertilizers. If the earth is clay, add sand. The prepared soil is covered with a mound in the landing hole and shed.
Tip! This procedure is necessary for sedimentation of soil and dissolution of mineral substances.
For better survival, the pear seedling is kept for several hours in warm water with the addition of a growth stimulator. Before planting, the root system is gently straightened and laid out on a prepared mound. Sapling sprinkled with earth, tamping every layer so that there is no air cushion. In a properly planted seedling, the root neck should rise 5 cm above the ground. The upper layer is tamped down, shed and mulched.
A young pear seedling will sit firmly in the ground only 2 years after planting, after the root system develops and strengthens, therefore the plant needs support. For this, a peg is set next to which the pear is tied up.
Watering and feeding
The yield and taste of the fruit depend on the irrigation carried out correctly. Rogned pear is a drought-resistant variety, but with a deficit of moisture the plant develops poorly and bears fruit. Therefore, watering is an important element in the care. Since the root system in an adult plant is well developed and goes deep into the ground, it can find moisture on its own. But there are rules for watering.
For a young pear:
- during the growing season - up to 3 buckets of warm water are used per copy;
- in the summer - 50 liters of water;
- in the fall, before preparing for winter - 150 liters of water.
For fruit tree:
- from the moment of flowering and before harvesting - 5 buckets of water;
- during leaf fall - 150 liters of water.
Watering the pears is carried out in specially dug grooves around the perimeter of the trunk, to a depth of 15 cm. After irrigation, the trench is covered with earth, the trunk circle is loosened and mulched.
Yields are affected by timely feeding. It protects against diseases, contributes to the rapid development and the formation of a large number of fruits. A surplus of fertilizers, like a deficiency, can have a detrimental effect on the pear tree. If the seedling is introduced into the fertile soil, then for 3 years it will not need feeding.
Scheme of fertilization on one pear tree:
- In early spring, before bud breaks, 10 buckets of organic matter or 0.5 kg of urea are applied to the stem. Urea contribute strictly according to the instructions, fresh manure as a top dressing is not used.
- During the flowering period - complex mineral fertilizers: 50 g of superphosphate, 40 g of potassium sulphate and 1 l of diluted manure are added to a bucket of water. Each plant consumes 4 buckets.
- During the formation of the crop, 0.5 kg of nitrophosphate and 1 g of sodium humate are diluted in 10 liters of water. Up to 5 buckets are shed under each tree.
- After harvesting, 300 g of superphosphate and potassium sulfate are scattered around the pear.
The quality and quantity of the crop depends on a well-formed crown. Pruning pears of the Rogned variety are carried out in early spring, before sap flow, for thinning and correction of the crown. In the fall - sanitary pruning, removal of dry, damaged branches. The work is carried out with a sharp, sterilized instrument. Pear tree formation:
- A one-year pear is shortened, leaving 50-60 cm above the ground. Thanks to this pruning, branches from the lower buds will begin to develop.
- In 2-3 year old plants, the center conductor is shortened by ¼ length. Also remove the extra shoots, leaving 4 powerful branches growing at an acute angle.
- Branches growing at a sharp angle and inside the crown, cut strictly under the ring.
- If flower buds form on a vertical branch, it is redirected horizontally and fixed to the ground with a twine.
- When removing shoots more than 3 cm thick, to prevent damage to the bark, the branch is filed first from the bottom, then from the top.
- All sections are covered with garden pitch.
Whitening of pears is carried out in early spring, before the earth warms up, and in late autumn. It protects the trunk of the tree from sunlight. The solution used is lime, which is diluted in warm water to the consistency of thick cream.
The way of conducting robots:
- Whitewashing is carried out in dry sunny weather.
- Before processing, the trunk is cleaned with a metal brush or wooden scraper from moss, lichen and damaged bark.
- Cracks covered with garden pitch.
- For whitewashing use a paint brush or paint sprayer.
- Whiten the trunk, skeletal branches of the lower tier, fork.
- Young trees with smooth bark do not need whitewashing, as it can clog pores and harm the plant.
Preparing for the winter
Prepare a pear to frost immediately after the leaf fall. To do this, listen to the advice of experienced gardeners:
- The area around the trunk is cleared of fallen leaves and other plant debris.
- The tree is plentifully shed, the soil is loosened and covered with a 20 cm layer of sawdust.
- If there are damaged areas on the trunk, they are cut to healthy tissue, the site of the cut is treated with a copper-containing drug and covered with garden pitch. Moss and lichen are brushed with a metal brush or wooden scraper.
- Rogned pear - frost-resistant variety. An adult tree does not need shelter. The trunk of a young tree is wrapped with burlap or spruce spruce branches.
Rogned Pear Dusters
The variety is capable of partial pollination, it all depends on the location of the stamens. But so that the crop was consistently high, pollinator varieties are planted next to it, such as: Prominent, Chizhevskaya, Milad. You can pick up another variety, as long as it is cold-resistant and has the same flowering time.
Rogned pear - a high-yielding variety, with one adult tree with proper care you can collect up to 5 buckets of fruit. High yields due to the fact that the pear well brings sharp changes in temperature, continues to grow and develop, even when the spring frosts suddenly returned. Due to unpretentiousness and high yield, Rogneda pear is grown in dacha plots and on an industrial scale.Important! If you follow the rules of care, the plant continuously bears fruit for 25 years.
Diseases and pests
Rogned pear is immune to scab and fruit rot. However, with improper and untimely care, the following diseases can affect the pear:
- Mealy dew - trunk, branches, leaves and ovaries are covered with white bloom, which eventually becomes rusty color. You can save the tree by treating it with a 10% solution of potassium chloride. After 2 weeks, they are treated with a 0.5% solution prepared from potassium salt and urea.
- Black fungus - fruits and leaves are covered with black bloom. Wood processing is carried out with insecticides.
- Rust - orange colored growths are formed on the leaf plate. Without treatment, the disease spreads to the fruit. The fight consists in treating the plant before flowering with a copper-containing preparation. After fructification, treatment is carried out with 1% Bordeaux liquid.
In order not to run into problems and get a regular crop, it is necessary to regularly loosen the circle of the trunk, collect and burn fallen leaves, and feed it in a timely manner.
Rogneda Pear Grade ReviewsStepanyuk Olga Pavlovna, 56 years old, Lviv. I grow a long time ago. There are many varieties: there are early and late ones. Among the autumn varieties, I highlight Rogneda pear. She sredneroslya, unpretentious and high-yielding. From an adult tree, the harvest is enough for fresh consumption, for harvesting for the winter and even for sale. Although the appearance is not the dignity of the variety, the product quickly leaves the counter for nutmeg flavor and sweet flesh. I advise everyone to plant early pears, which begin to bear fruit for 3 years after planting. Puchkov Ivan Pavlovich, 60 years old, Vologda I read reviews about Rogned's pear and planted a sapling for the joy of my grandchildren. The tree began to bear fruit 4 years after planting. In the first year, the harvest was poor, but in the second year, 4-5 kg of fruit were removed from the tree. Pear is very tasty, sweet with nutmeg aroma. The peel is thin, dense, painted in a golden yellow color with a slight red blush. The variety does not require special care, winters without shelter.
Description, photos and reviews of pear Rogneda show its ideality. Due to the high yield and unpretentiousness suitable for novice gardeners and experienced farmers. With a minimum of effort and maximum care, the pear tree will thank juicy, fragrant fruits.