Dahlias are both annual and perennial. When choosing a type of flower for your plot, you should remember that it is much easier to grow an annual plant: no need to wait for the formation of tubers, dig them for the winter, protect from disease and rot. Simply sow the seeds and after a couple of months enjoy the exuberant flowering of dahlias in their own flower bed.
On the rules of growing annual dahlias, as well as the best varieties of these bright flowers - this article.
What is the peculiarity of annual flowers
There is a beautiful legend about the appearance of a flower at the place of an extinguished hearth - a colorful dahlia replaced fire for people and resembled flames. Indeed, these flowers are very bright, large, there are a lot of varieties and varieties of annuals, among which it is easy to choose a decoration for a garden or flower bed.
Annual dahlias have a lot of advantages over perennial species and other garden flowers:
- A long flowering period - from mid-summer to the first frost.
- Large and colorful inflorescences, which are in the form of a ball, may have terry or glossy surfaces, pointed or rounded petals.
- Simple sowing and easy plant care.
- No need to dig up the tubers and transfer them to winter storage - this procedure usually ends with the loss of most of the rhizomes due to their infection with fungal infections.
- Dahlias can grow throughout the country, even in the northern regions, these flowers can be grown seedling.
The main advantage of annual dahlias is their unpretentiousness - these flowers grow equally well in different climates, on any soils, do not need complex care and frequent watering.Important! Still, annualized varieties will be more abundant and more intense if they are planted in neutral soil or in the extreme case with low acidity.
In order for the annuals to delight the owner with violent blooms, you need to be able to care for the plants, as well as choose suitable varieties of dahlias for your plot. These flowers differ in several ways:
- the height of the bush - tall, medium and dwarf. A gardener should take into account that tall flowers need to be tied up, strengthened with supports, left between bushes at least 70 cm. At the same time, 30 cm distance between holes is enough for dwarf dahlias, because bushes are not only low, but also compact.
- According to the type of bud (size, shape, color, features of the petals) and the color of the leaves.
- According to the timing of flowering, dahlias are distinguished depending on their height, as a rule, tall varieties bloom a few weeks later than undersized and dwarf varieties.
Tip! When choosing a variety of dahlias for your garden, you must take into account the information specified by the manufacturer on the package with seeds: there you can find the timing and planting schemes, methods of care and the required frequency of watering.
The variety of dwarf dahlias, the height of these flowers can not be more than 25 cm. Eventy flowers bloom in mid-July and continue flowering until frost.
These undersized flowers are convenient to draw out garden paths, the first tier of flower beds, plant them in pots and flowerpots. Inflorescences are large - up to 8 cm in diameter, can be painted in various bright shades, have a terry surface.
One of the most common and well-known annual varieties in Russia. Flowers reach a height of 30-60 cm, have compact bushes - just designed to decorate the garden.
The inflorescences of plants of this variety are painted in different shades, as the flower seeds are sold as a mixture. Common in the middle of flowers bright yellow and a simple structure of the inflorescence.
Dahlia blooms from early July until the very first frost. It is convenient to decorate rabatki and flower beds, it can be combined with other types of flowers.
This is also a mixture of several multicolored varieties of annuals. Combines the height of the plant plants - about 60 cm, and the structure of the inflorescence.
Around the bright yellow center of the flower are collected small short petals - a collar. These narrow petals lie on the large, pointed leaves of the outer edge of the flower - a magnificent, two-layer inflorescence is obtained.
The variety blooms from mid-July to October. In general, "Dahlia collar" is designed for cutting and decoration of flowerpots, but the flower looks great in flowerbeds, organically combined with other garden plants.
Attention! Experienced gardeners recommend alternating vegetable beds with dahlias - these flowers attract the bees that are necessary for garden crops for pollination because of their strong aroma and rich colors.
This mixture of multi-colored flowers of one-year-olds is intended for the design of bouquets - the height of the stems can reach 120 cm.
Inflorescences are large, rounded, with double petals. Looks great variety and in flower beds, blooms until the first frost.
The height of the stems in plants of this variety reaches a meter. The inflorescences consist of thin petals rolled into tubes. These petals resemble needles, which gave the name to the variety.
The inflorescences are very voluminous, bright, decorative - they are decorated with bouquets and flower beds of gardens. After sowing seeds into the soil, cactus varieties of dahlias bloom no earlier than the 16th week, but continue flowering until late autumn.
The inflorescences of this variety are similar to cactus dahlia, only the flowers are more dense, rounded. Terry heads of annual flowers look like fur pompons, only bright and colorful.
The height of the bushes of this flower is about 90 cm. Plants are often used in group plantings, combining dahlias with other flowers and shrubs.
These annual flowers grow only up to 30 cm, so they are most often used to decorate balconies and window sills - planted in pots or boxes. Also look good flowers in flower beds, in the form of a frame or border.
Terry flower, volumetric, with a barely noticeable yellow center. Blooms on the 16-18th week after sowing seeds, continues to bloom until the first frost.
Simple, subtle and bright flowers of this variety are considered to be very decorative - they are planted in flowerpots, pots, flower beds and rabatki.
The height of the bushes does not exceed 40 cm, flowering begins in mid-July, and ends with the onset of autumn frosts. The beauty of this variety is difficult to overestimate - the flowers are shown in the photo below.
Low-growing varieties of dahlias is another variety - Figaro. The height of the stems of this flower is not more than 35 cm. But its inflorescences are large - up to 10 cm in diameter, and bulky.
A dahlia can decorate the foreground of a flowerbed, combine into a composition or be grown individually in pots and drawers. It blooms from July to October.
Tip! You should not distrust the mixtures of seeds of several varieties of an annual plant - they are selected taking into account the timing of planting and agrotechnical works.
How to grow dahlias
Even a novice gardener can decorate a garden with annual dahlias - these flowers do not require special care.
Still, in order for the flowerbed to be beautiful and bright, you need to follow some rules:
- Planted annual varieties of dahlias or seeds or seedlings. The first option is suitable for regions with a mild climate - the seeds are sown in holes in late April-early May, when the threat of night frosts passes. For those areas of the country in which the warm climate is established with the onset of summer, the seedling method of growing perennials is more suitable, besides, they will bloom a couple of weeks earlier than those sown with seeds.
- Growing seedlings of dahlias is very similar to the cultivation of tomatoes or bell peppers. Seeds are pre-soaked for a day, then planted in boxes or pots, covered with foil. After the emergence of seedlings, the seedlings are grown for 7-12 days, and then they dive into individual containers. Before planting in the open ground dahlia seedlings need to be hardened - carried out on the street or on the balcony.
- If the soil at the site is nutritious, it is not necessary to fertilize the plants additionally. Poor soil is fed with organic or complex fertilizers in the fall. During planting, you can add a handful of wood ash to each well.
- Watering annual dahlias is not necessary often - these flowers are afraid of waterlogging, as they are susceptible to infection with fungal infections. Watering is necessary as the soil dries out, and with the onset of autumn, stop irrigation of the bushes altogether.
- For more abundant flowering, you can feed the bushes with complex fertilizers, making them before the appearance of the buds and after the first flowers start flowering.
- To the bushes were more flowers, it is recommended to pinch the central shoot. Then the side stems with additional buds will start to grow.
- The faded flowers need to be cut in time. If they are needed for collecting seeds, inflorescences are left for a couple of weeks. After that, the seeds are harvested, dried and folded in paper bags.
- When the autumn frosts begin, the dahlia bushes can be covered with agrofiber overnight - this is how the flowering of the crop is prolonged.
Properly selected variety and compliance with the recommendations for growing dahlias-one-year-olds is guaranteed to provide a flower bed and a garden with beautiful flowers, bright and unpretentious.