Sauerkraut is a tasty and healthy product. It contains many vitamins, minerals and fiber. Due to this composition, it can be eaten by almost all people. With many diseases, it can serve as a tasty medicine. It will help a lot with various problems with the stomach and intestines. Regular consumption of this dish can cure even dysbacteriosis and significantly reduce the blood sugar level of diabetics, relieve the lazy intestines from constipation. The high content of ascorbic acid, which does not decrease during storage, in combination with vitamin A, makes this dish indispensable for maintaining immunity at the proper level, which is important in winter. Those who regularly use sauerkraut, much less likely to have a cold, the flu also bypasses them.
When fermenting sugar, which is contained in cabbage, turns into lactic acid. It is not only an excellent preservative and does not spoil the product, but also has useful properties.
Each housewife has his own family recipe for this delicious product. The main ingredients are cabbage, carrot and salt. Even such cabbage will be tasty and healthy. Many boiled cabbage with a variety of additives: cumin, cranberries, beets, apples, guided by their taste. Very tasty turns out to be sauerkraut, if you add sweet pepper to it. Sauerkraut with bell peppers is very useful. In this preparation, all the vitamins are completely preserved, and there are a lot of them in pepper.
You can cook sauerkraut with bell pepper in different ways. Closest to the classic product is a recipe in which cabbage produces its own juice. Neither water nor vinegar is added to it. There is a natural process of lactic fermentation.
Cabbage, pickled with Bulgarian pepper
For cooking you will need:
- 5 kg of cabbage. The most delicious sourness is obtained from juicy heads with a high sugar content.
- 600 grams of sweet pepper. If you want the final product to look more beautiful, it is better to take the pepper in different colors, but always ripe.
- 400 g carrots. Carrots are better to choose a sweet, bright color.
- 4 tbsp. spoons of salt.
- Fans can add spices: mustard seed, cumin.
Preparing this product is very simple. We clean the cabbages from dead leaves. We cut them in thin stripes.
Tip! It is easier to do this with a special grater-shredder.
Three carrots. If you wish, you can rub it in thin stripes, as for cooking in Korean. Remove seeds from pepper and cut into strips. Mix vegetables in a large bowl, adding salt.
Attention! Strongly chop vegetables should not be, it is enough just to mix well.
In a bowl in which the cabbage will be boiled, we spread it in parts, carefully tamping each layer with a wooden beater. Dense tamping creates anaerobic conditions in which the formation of lactic acid organisms is better. Place the plate on top and set the load. A liter can of water is fine.
Tip! The weight of the load for ripening must be 10 times less than the weight of the most fermented mass.
For fermentation is very important the right temperature. This process takes place in two stages.
- At the first stage, the juice is released into which the vegetable extractives are transferred. Due to the high salt concentration, the activity of microorganisms is not yet possible. Gradually, the salt penetrates into the cabbage and its concentration in the brine decreases, which serves as a signal for the start of microbiological processes. Yeast is active at this stage. They cause strong gas formation and foam.
In order for sauerkraut not to spoil for a longer time, it is necessary to remove the resulting foam, which may contain pathogenic microorganisms. To get rid of the gases that give the final product a bitter taste, fermentation should be pierced a couple of times a day with a wooden stick to the very bottom of the dish.
The first stage should end as early as possible in order to achieve the rapid formation of lactic acid as a preservative for the fermented product. The temperature of the first stage is 20 degrees.
- In the second stage, lactic acid bacteria are activated, they decompose the sugar contained in the vegetable to lactic acid. The fermentation process takes place directly. Gassing ends. Fermentation requires a temperature of 20 degrees. Completely it ends in 10 days. The concentration of lactic acid will reach 2%. Such cabbage will be too sour. It is considered optimal if the lactic acid in the product is not more than 1%; therefore, a couple of days after the cessation of gas formation, the billet is taken out into the cold to slow down the fermentation. Cabbage needs to be taken out in a cold room on time. If it is done too early, the fermentation process may simply not start and the product will quickly deteriorate. If you are late, then the fermentation will perekisnet.
Among the various recipes for the preparation of sauerkraut with pepper there are many unusual. For example, you can ferment it with celery root and parsley. These additives will give the billet a special spicy flavor.
Fermented cabbage with celery, sweet pepper and parsley
This cabbage is leavened in a jar. Keep it long is not worth it, and it will not work. This tasty dish is eaten very quickly.
For cooking you will need:
- 2 kg of late cabbage;
- 600 g carrots;
- 400 g paprika;
- 1 medium celery root;
- 100 g of salt;
- a large bunch of parsley;
- bay leaf and peppercorns to taste.
Heads cleaned from the upper leaves, washed, chop. All other vegetables are washed, cleaned, washed again and cut into thin strips, finely chop the parsley. Put all the vegetables in the bowl, add salt and mix well.
After extracting the juice, we transfer them to the can, carefully tamping. Spread on top of the spices and cover with cabbage leaf. Close the lid and set the load. After the end of the fermentation process, which will be about 5 days later, we transfer the jar to the cold, where we store it. Before the use of souring, the top layer with spices must be removed.
There is no one recipe for sauerkraut with added sugar. It speeds up the fermentation process and gives the product a pleasant, sweetish taste. Together with carrots and sweet peppers, onions are added to the cabbage.
Sauerkraut with onions and sweet pepper
The cooking technology of this fermentation is slightly different from the classic. We have to first prepare the brine. It will require:
- not cold water - 800 ml;
- salt - 2 tbsp. spoons with a slide;
- sugar - 1 tbsp. spoon with a slide.
Dissolve salt and sugar in water.
- a large cabbage head chopped;
- 3 peppers cut into strips; 2 onions in half rings;
- combine the vegetables in a large basin, seasoning them with grated carrots, you need to take 3 of them;
- add 5 peas allspice, 10 - bitter and a couple of bay leaves.
After mixing, place the vegetables in the jars, a little before reaching the top, and pour the prepared brine.Tip! Under each jar you need to substitute a plate. During fermentation, the brine overflows. Banks need to cover with a towel or gauze.
After fermentation, we put the jars in the fridge.
There are many recipes for sauerkraut with bell pepper. Through trials, each hostess chooses the one that will serve her for many years, delighting the family with delicious and healthy food. This preparation is good fresh, you can cook soup or a side dish. Inexpensive and tasty product will decorate any table, both everyday and festive.