Potato varieties Rosalind - a product of the work of German breeders. It is recommended for cultivation in several regions: Central, East Siberian, Central Black Earth, North Caucasus.
In the early Rosalind potato bushes are formed semi-upright, of medium height. Bright green leaves of open type grow medium size.
Tubers ripen with a mass of 60-110 g, and up to 16 potatoes can form in one bush. Oval-rounded fruits are distinguished by red smooth skin and yellowish flesh (as in the photo). Starch content is 12.2-17%. For ripening crop requires 53-61 days. Variety Rosalind different excellent keeping quality (saved 95-97% of tubers).
If you previously germinate planting material, the rate of aging of tubers increases. Therefore, it is not surprising that in the southern regions, experienced gardeners harvest twice a season.
Advantages and disadvantages
Describing the potato Rosalind, it is easy to distinguish the positive and negative sides of the variety.
Susceptibility to late blight. Precautionary measures - processing of potatoes before planting. Experienced gardeners also recommend disinfecting the soil.
An important guarantee of a bountiful harvest is fertile soil. For potato varieties Rosalind more suitable loose, well-ventilated and moist soil.
Preparatory stage - disinfection of planting material and earth:
- Tubers are treated with special means. "Kolfugo super" is a liquid seed treater. Neutralizes many diseases, has a long duration, contributes to the friendly emergence of seedlings, not phytotoxic. The tool is well kept on the surface of the tubers - resistant to washing with water (during watering or during rains). Consumption rate - 2 ml per kilogram of potatoes. It is for the fight against late blight using "Fitosporin-M". Consumption - 10 ml per kilogram of material.
- For cultivation of land used "Force" or "Aktar". These tools disinfect the soil and help fight the wireworm after planting potatoes. The recommended dose is 0.5 kg per hundred. To simplify the process of processing, it is better to scatter the granules during the planting of tubers (the tool should be located next to the root system of plants).
Planting work involved after the threat of frost. Soil temperature at a depth of 8-10 cm should not be less than + 5-8˚С. The rows of Rosalind varieties of potato are best positioned north-south. Holes with a depth of 8–10 cm are dug out with a distance of 65–70 cm between rows and a pitch of 25–30 cm in a row.
Rosalind belongs to the varieties that respond quickly to high-quality agricultural techniques. And this should not be neglected, because with proper care, the yield increases by 15-20%. The following events should be regularly held:
- shallow loosening, due to which soil airflow increases;
Do not flood the bushes. In order for water to flow well to the roots of Rosalind potato variety, it is advisable to make grooves parallel to the rows.
Hilling and feeding
These are the most necessary procedures, without which it is difficult to expect a good harvest. It is recommended to do these works in cloudy weather when the ground is wet.
When hilling the Rosalind potato bush, the wet soil is scooped to the roots. This procedure will allow you to get the maximum yield, because it contributes to the formation of new tubers. An additional effect is loosening the soil around the plants, in which the earth is saturated with air and dries more slowly. The first time spud potato varieties Rosalind after germination. During the season, bushes usually spud twice with an interval of three to three and a half weeks.
How to feed potatoes
Gardeners who prefer organic fertilizers may use semi-mature manure or composts (a mixture of peat and manure). If you immediately fall asleep wood ash in a well or in a trench, you can get a greater effect. The excellent harvest of potato varieties Rosalind ripens when using inorganic fertilizers.
Nutrient formulations contribute in several stages. For each time it is important to choose the appropriate mixture.
- For the first time, dressing is added to the soil after germination. Use nitrogen-containing compounds ammonium sulfate, ammonium nitrate. Since the potato variety Rosalind should quickly increase the green mass. You can use a solution of 15 g of urea and 500 ml of mullein per 10 liters of water.
- As soon as the buds appear and the tubers begin to tie, the plants are fertilized again. At this time, the potato Rosalind needs potassium and phosphorus. Therefore, a mixture of 15 g of potassium sulfate, half a glass of wood ash, 15 g of superphosphate diluted in 10 liters of water will do.
- Three weeks before digging out Rosalind potato, soil is fertilized with a solution of superphosphate (30 g) and slurry (25 ml) diluted in a bucket of water (10 l). About half a liter of fertilizer is poured under each potato bush.
Do not neglect dressings, especially organic. As these additives improve the structure of the earth - they make it more friable.
Diseases and pests
The main danger for the Rosalind variety is late blight, which damages the tubers, the aboveground part. The first signs of a lesion are dark spots on the leaves. The disease leads to the death of the tops, and the infected fruits rot during storage. A reliable means of combating are chemicals. The tops 25-30 cm high are sprayed with special solutions (Bordeaux mixture, copper sulphate). Before the beginning of flowering, Eksiol, Epin are used, if damp, cool weather is established. When warm and dry, you can apply Krezacin, Silk. As soon as the bushes bloom and the tubers begin to actively form, it is recommended that Rosalind potatoes be sprayed with Alufit.Important! For processing potato planting suitable only windless dry weather.
It is known that the disease is easier to prevent than to cure. This expression applies to the plant world. The most popular preventive measures:
- plant only healthy material, do not have potato beds in damp lowlands;
- thinning of rows - strong thickening of the landing is not allowed;
- timely hilling of Rosalind potato bushes;
- if rainy weather is expected, it is advisable to dig up potato tubers earlier.
After harvesting it is important to carefully remove the remains of tops and tubers. It is best to burn the remaining post-harvest litter.
Sometimes, due to inexperience or following the advice of inexperienced neighbors, beginning gardeners delay the digging of potatoes. Such slowness when harvesting early varieties can lead to crop loss. The optimal time for digging tubers Rosalind - the first half of August. But more precisely, the period is determined individually and depends on climatic conditions. Indeed, in the case of rainy weather harvesting is delayed.
The popularity of Rosalind varieties among summer residents is fully justified. Potato ripens early, differs excellent taste, moderately starchy and does not fall apart during cooking. Therefore, suitable for cooking various dishes.