Watermelon Producer has gained popularity among farmers. This early variety is especially attractive for southern regions, where it produces large juicy fruits up to 20 kg. Watermelon also demonstrates quite good yields in the conditions of a short but hot summer in the middle lane.
Watermelon Producer is a product of breeding of American scientists, intended for cultivation both on an industrial scale and in personal plots. According to experts, it is a modification of the popular American variety with improved characteristics.
Watermelon Producer, as the description shows, gives the berries a round-oval shape with a rich red, juicy flesh and a smooth striped surface. Among the characteristics of the fetus can be identified:
- high seed germination - up to 99%;
- early ripeness - fruits ripen in 2-2.5 months after emergence of shoots;
- good yields - up to 8 kg / sq. m;
- beautiful presentation and excellent taste - up to 12% sugar;
- excellent transportability and good keeping quality;
- resistance to fungal diseases;
- possibility of growing in greenhouses and open beds.
Variety Producer has some drawbacks, these include:
- dependence on temperature conditions;
- the need for regular watering and fertilizing;
- does not always have time to mature.
Seed preparation for sowing
If the variety Producer is grown in the southern regions, the seeds can be sown immediately in open ground. For the middle lane, the rassadny method is more optimal, which approximates fruiting for about half a month. In more northern regions and Siberia, the producer variety is grown in greenhouses. The best germination give the seeds of 3-4 years of storage.
Preparation of seedlings begins with the correct selection of seeds. You can choose producers of hybrids, more resistant to cold. To prepare for sowing should:
- dip the seeds in a 3% solution of edible salt;
- all seeds that have emerged need to be discarded;
- copies, settled on the bottom, wrap in gauze and rinse under running water;
- after drying, heat for 2 hours at a temperature of about 60 degrees;
- place for disinfection in a solution of potassium permanganate;
- spread out on a plate and cover with a cloth for germination.
Soil for sowing watermelon AU Producer can be purchased at a specialty store - in it seed germination is much higher. However, you can cook it yourself, by mixing the humus with turf ground or peat. You can add to the mixture and sawdust.
Sowing seeds carried out around mid-April. It is better to plant them in peat pots, so as not to damage sprouted roots when transplanting into open ground. After sowing the seeds, the pots are watered and covered with a film for accelerated germination. In a warm place, they quickly hatch and friendly shoots will appear. They need good light. The appearance of 3-5 leaves is a signal for transplanting seedlings to open beds.
When planted in the open ground, small grooves are prepared with a depth of up to 4-5 cm, in which seeds are placed with an interval of 2 cm, and then sprinkled with earth. Crops are watered with warm water.
Transfer to the beds
Watermelon Producer, as indicated by the description of the variety, has an extensive root system that needs light aerated soils. Therefore, to transfer seedlings to open ground, you need to prepare certain conditions:
- sandy and sandy soils are most favorable - melon fields will not grow in acidified areas;
- groundwater level should be low;
- the land must first be dug up, remove weeds, fertilize with humus, sawdust;
- useful precursors of the cultivar Producer are potatoes and legumes, and undesirable - melons and gourds;
- it is not recommended to plant tomatoes or onions near the variety seedlings Producer;
- an important factor affecting the effective growth and the formation of the taste characteristics of the fetus is light;
- watermelon planting scheme Producer for open ground - 1.4x1.0 m, and for greenhouses - 0.7x0.7m;
- The optimum temperature for intensive growth and rapid maturation is above 20 degrees.
Planting a watermelon Producer well on elevated places - they are more intensely illuminated and warmed by the sun. Seedlings can be planted at an ambient temperature of 15 degrees, when the danger of return frost is passed.
Important! When temperatures drop below +12 degrees, the plants stop growing, so the first time is better to cover the watermelon seedlings at night. Producer.
In greenhouse conditions, shoots form into one main stem, tying it to a support. From the side shoots are less than half a meter long and removed so that they do not shade the fruit. The more ovaries formed on the shoots of a Watermelon Variety Producer, the more time and effort they need to ripen. It is recommended to leave 3 ovaries on each of them, and the rest to be removed. Two stepson left on the main stem, the rest are cut off. After the appearance of the ovary after three leaflets lash pinned. Then you get just three fruits that will ripen almost simultaneously.
In the open beds, the watermelons of the cultivar of the Producer are formed into three stems, then the tops pinch. Although watermelons need a lot of sun, when their ripening begins, the fruit should be slightly pritenit. To do this, on particularly hot days, each watermelon can be covered with large leaves, such as burdock.
Since watermelons are drought tolerant, watering should be fairly moderate, depending on the stages of vegetative development of plants: in the initial period, when ovaries are formed, watermelons are watered in the morning and evening;
- during the flowering period, twice a week is enough;
- in the hot period - once in 7-8 days;
- at the stage of formation of the fruit should be limited to watering;
- at the stage of maturation, the irrigation of watermelons AU Producer, as recommended by the reviews, is stopped.
Most often, farmers organize an drip irrigation system, which is ideal for producer Watermelon varieties in terms of increasing yields. Important for watermelons loosening. It should be shallow, so as not to damage the root system, but weekly.
In the northern regions, groundwater is often located close to the surface, and the roots of watermelons can rot. With the help of a small trick, you can force the root processes to spread not inland, but in breadth. To do this, it is necessary to dig up small grooves between the rows, along which to organize irrigation.
After the formation of ovaries begins rapid growth of the fruit. During this period, the characteristics of watermelons Producer recommends weekly fertilizing with mineral fertilizers. They should be produced after rain or watering. Regular dressing can be replaced by pre-sowing soil filling with ash and humus or introducing them into each well before planting seedlings. Watermelon especially needs phosphorus and potassium compounds.
Watermelon belongs to the heat-loving plants, so you need to provide him a lot of heat. Many farmers engaged in the cultivation of watermelons in the middle lane, resort to a little tricks. After planting the seedlings in the open ground, build up a small greenhouse in the form of a film stretched over the supports. The film is removed only at the end of June, and this should be done in the evening or on an overcast day so that the sun does not burn the tender seedlings.
Although the watermelon variety Producer is resistant to anthracnose and stem rot, there are many other fungal diseases that require preventive treatments:
- if the mealy spots of powdery mildew appear on the stems, all affected parts of the plant must be collected and burned;
- from infecting root rot, it is necessary to decontaminate the soil before planting.
In order to protect the watermelons of the cultivar Producer from contact with the ground and infection of the root rot, many farmers place a plank under each fruit and sprinkle the root collar with sand.
Of the common pests when growing watermelon Producer can be identified:
- melon aphids, signs of which are expressed in black spots, twisting stems;
- spider mite, causing gradual drying of watermelon lashes.
All affected leaves and stems must be removed and destroyed. As a preventive measure, it is necessary to regularly inspect the bushes and carry out spraying.
Reviews gardeners and farmers
Gavrilova Maria, 50 years old, Astrakhan Watermelon variety The producer is developing very well in the south. He has time to ripen and gives huge sweet watermelons with bright red grainy flesh. Of course, the Producer variety is a bit capricious, but if you perform agrotechnical measures on time, there will be no problems. Krasnov Veniamin, 70 years old, SamaraArbuzy Producer is grown in seedlings. Seeds are planted immediately in open ground, and the top is covered with a plastic bottle. Then we cover with another 5-liter bottle. The seedling is in a thermos, and he is not afraid of any frosts. When the constant heat comes, we first remove the bottom bottle, and later the top bottle. Watermelons varieties Producer have great time to get ripe. Polosatikova Svetlana, 45 years old, Podolsk. We grow watermelon Producer in a film greenhouse. We plant seeds at the end of April, we form in one stalk. At temperatures below +12 degrees the development of watermelons is suppressed, so we try to periodically heat the greenhouse. But watermelons turn out excellent, sugary. Fine grade. Semechkin Ermolai, 72 years old, Krasnodar We are engaged in industrial cultivation of watermelons. Many varieties grow well in our country, but the watermelon Producer has broken records of early ripeness and yield. It is also attracted by its sweet taste and high transportability.
With the observance of the rules of agricultural technology, the watermelon variety Producer gives consistently high yields every year and is promising for industrial cultivation.