In recent years, growers are increasingly talking about a new variety called "Senator". This grape appeared relatively recently, but it is already very popular in Russia and some CIS countries. Just a couple of years ago, in a private Ukrainian nursery, another hybrid with the same name was bred, which caused much confusion among gardeners and summer residents. One of these varieties gives large berries of a claret-pink shade, the other is white and gives fruits of greenish-yellow color. The two Senators have a lot in common, but there are significant differences between these species.
Grapes Senator: description of each variety with photos and reviews of gardeners - this will be an article. Here you will learn about the characteristics of the two hybrids, list their strengths and weaknesses, and give recommendations on planting and care.
The history of the origin of hybrids
The first Senator was bred by the Russian breeder Pavlovsky about ten years ago. This grape is called Vitis Senator or Senator Pavlovsky. It was possible to get a new hybrid after crossing two popular varieties: the Gift of Zaporozhye and Maradona.
Just a couple of years ago, an amateur breeder from Ukraine crossed the Talisman and Arkady varieties, the resulting hybrid, he also called the Senator. The name of the breeder Burdak, so his variety is popularly called Senator Burdak. This grape has not yet passed experimental studies, so its characteristics are very conditional. But this circumstance does not prevent the growers from actively purchasing Senator Burdak's saplings and trying to grow this successful hybrid.
Attention! If the purchased cuttings are called "Senator", most likely this variety is Senator Pavlovsky. It is necessary to clarify with the seller or ask what color the berries (Pavlovsky variety is considered to be rose-bearing, whereas Burdak brought white grapes).
Senator Pavlovsky is an early maturing table variety, the maturation period of which lies within 115-120 days. This grape is widespread due to its good appearance, excellent taste of the berries and the resistance of the vine to various diseases and pests.
Description of Pavlovsky variety:
- technical maturity of grapes comes, usually, by the end of August (in areas with a mild climate);
- the bushes have good vigor, the vine is long, powerful, well branched;
- survival rate of cuttings is excellent, with the reproduction of the hybrid grape problems do not arise;
- leaves are large, carved, with dark green veins;
- Senator's blueness inflorescences - other varieties are not needed for pollination of Pavlovsky grapes;
- berries are large, "pea" not subject;
- the fruits of the Senator are very large, oval-shaped and burgundy in color (the color of the berry resembles ripe sweet cherry);
- maximum berry weight can reach 18 grams;
- usually in the pulp of the fruit there are 2-3 bones (their number and size strongly depend on the growing conditions and climate in the region);
- the peel on the fruit is thin, but rather strong - the Senator grapes do not crack and tolerate transportation;
- clusters very large, cone-shaped, tightly packed;
- the weight of the clusters depends on the nutritional value of the soil and the weather, usually ranging from 700 to 1500 grams;
- Senator Pavlovsky's grape taste is very pleasant, sweet, with well-marked muscat notes;
- the structure of the pulp is tender, not too elastic, melting in the mouth;
- Senator yield is stable, with proper care - high;
- the frost resistance of the Pavlovsky hybrid is high - up to -24 degrees the vine maintains without shelter;
- Senator Pavlovsky has a high immunity to fungal and viral infections - the vine rarely suffers, practically does not undergo attacks from insects;
- sweet berries with a strong aroma do not attract wasps - this is another plus of the Pavlovsky hybrid;
- storage and transportation of grapes can withstand well, tightly packed clusters retain their presentation for a long time.
Important! Variety Senator recommended for cultivation in regions with mild and temperate climates. In more severe climates, it is necessary to cover the grapes for the winter.
Since Senator Sosnowski is a relatively new hybrid, care must be taken when buying cuttings - the risk of fraud on the part of the seller is high.
Advantages and disadvantages
The Senator grape variety is very young, but already has a whole army of fans. Pavlovsky brought a very good hybrid with a lot of advantages:
- good viability of cuttings and rapid growth of the vine;
- frost resistance;
- high and stable yield;
- even large berries and large densely packed clusters;
- suitability for storage and transportation (subject to the cultivation of grapes not in conditions of high humidity);
- immunity to dangerous infections and pests;
- unpretentiousness to growing conditions and care.
There are some minor flaws in the Pavlovsky hybrid, however. But they are all associated with bad weather conditions or incorrect content. So, the following problems were revealed in the Senator:
- cracking fruits and their rotting due to contact with water (rainy period);
- a certain friability of the pulp - some tasters lack the characteristic "crunch";
- poor frost resistance for winegrowers from the northern regions.
As you can see, it’s quite possible to put up with such shortcomings: the pluses definitely overlap the minuses.
Only in the last year began to appear reviews of a completely new hybrid - Senatore Burdak. So far this variety has not passed the stage of experimental cultivation and has not been entered in any registry, but has already managed to win the love of many private growers.
The description of the variety and its characteristics have a strong similarity with the Pavlovsky hybrid:
- Senator Burdak vigorously;
- the crown is large, it grows quickly;
- the berries are leveled, oval, painted in yellowish-green color;
- no tendency to "pea" - all fruits of the same size and shape;
- clusters are cone-shaped, the fruits are tight to each other;
- the average mass of a bunch of grapes is 1000-1200 grams;
- Senator Burdak has good frost resistance;
- immunity to fungal and infectious diseases in a hybrid is high;
- taste characteristics are excellent - the pulp is soft, sweet, with subtle muscateal notes;
- Burdak's crop is transported and stored well;
- the commodity value of fruits is high;
- yield - medium and high (depending on growing conditions);
- Senator Burdak's early ripening grapes - vegetation takes from 115 to 120 days.
The pros and cons of these hybrids are the same. Senator Burdak is also prone to rotting and cracking berries in conditions of high humidity, so you need to monitor the cultivation technology and harvest in time.
Feedback from the husbandmen about both Senators is positive: everyone likes the unpretentiousness of these hybrids, their rapid growth and ease of reproduction. Given the same ripening dates and similarity of characteristics, Senators Burdak and Pavlovsky need similar agricultural techniques.
Grapes. Senator prefers light and nourishing soils that can pass air well. It is better to choose a landing site from the south or south-west side of the site; a small slope is perfect. Like any grapes, the Senator needs protection from the north and wind, therefore landing chubukov along the wall or fence is welcomed.
Recommendations for planting grapes are as follows:
- Plant Senator can be in the pit, and in the trench. The dimensions of the landing holes are ordinary: 60x60 cm. The depth of the trench should be the same.
- It is advisable to prepare a landing site in advance. If it is planned to plant the cuttings in spring, then the pit is prepared from autumn. In the extreme case, from the moment of creating the pit to planting the grapes, at least two weeks should pass.
- If the groundwater in the area is high, drainage is necessary. The bottom of the pit or trench is covered with a thick layer of broken brick, expanded clay, rubble. From above pour a little coarse sand.
- After drainage should go fertile layer (at the level of 40-50 cm). For this, the fertile soil extracted from the pit is mixed with organic or mineral fertilizers.
- The roots of grape seedlings are recommended to be soaked before planting. A day or two of them are soaked in ordinary water with a low content of potassium perfmanganate or in a special growth stimulator.
- Immediately before planting, you need to cut the roots of the cutting, remove damaged shoots.
- The seedling is placed in the center of the pit and gradually its roots are covered with earth. After planting, the soil must be compacted and watered.
Tip! It would be good to plant the roots of a grape stalk before planting with the help of a clay talker.
Growing any of the two Senators is a simple matter. Therefore, these varieties are great even for beginner growers.
All the care of the grapes will be as follows:
- Regular watering until full engraftment cutting. Subsequently, the vine must be watered during periods of drought, when the soil is severely cracked. It is very important not to overdo it with watering, as excessive moisture can cause cracking and rotting of grapes.
- The soil around the vine is better to mulch. This will help protect the roots from overheating in summer and freezing in winter, additionally fertilize the soil.
- You can feed the Senator with slurry, bird droppings, mineral complexes for grapes. Like all hybrids, Senator well perceives fertilizer dissolved in water.
- Cut the grapes better in spring. For the Senator grades, a long (for 7-8 eyes) or medium (for 5-6 eyes) pruning is suitable. The first time the vine is pruned immediately after planting or next spring.
- Despite the resistance of the grapes, it must be sprayed several times per season. To do this, you can use the Bordeaux mixture, drugs "Topaz" or "Ridomil Gold."
- In the northern areas for the winter, the Senator variety must be sheltered.
Tip! Do not forget about the regulation of the bush. Large and heavy clusters can break off the vine, if you do not regulate their number and location. At each shoot leave no more than 1-2 bunches.
Ivan Pavlovich This year my Senator Pavlovsky fruited the first time (three years have passed since planting). I can say that the variety is very tall, I lead it in two shoulders, each with ten sleeves. For the year the growth of the vine turned out twenty centimeters. I really liked the grapes, sweet with strongly pronounced nutmeg. The only drawback that I discovered for myself so far is too dense clusters. But, I think this situation will be corrected when the load on the bush increases. The most difficult thing was to find a sapling, because the variety has just appeared, there is not even an exact description of it. So far, I like this hybrid: the cutting took root quickly and well, immediately went into growth, in the spring gave side shoots. I will wait for the harvest and hope that all my labors are not in vain.
Photos of white and pink clusters of the Senator variety are equally good: the grapes are leveled, the same size, with beautiful color and large size. Both varieties bred relatively recently, both of them are characterized by strong growth and good resistance to external factors.
Definitely, Senators Pavlovsky and Burdak are worthy competitors, each of them deserves the closest attention.