The Sofia grape variety at its first meeting may seem like a plastic dummy. It's all about the large berries of the same size. Indeed, the clusters look that way. If you want to have tasty berries in your garden, get acquainted with the description of the variety, characteristics of the grapes and photos.
The Sofia grape was bred at the end of the last century by amateur gardener V.V. Zagorulko. The varieties Kishmish Radiant and Arcadia were used as parents. New grapes absorbed the best qualities of their ancestors. The vegetative period varies from 110-115 days.
Sofia is a variety of early ripe table varieties. Thanks to its exquisite taste, grapes are gaining popularity among gardeners. A detailed description of the Sofia grape variety, photos, reviews and videos will be presented to our readers below.
The vine at a bush is powerful, bright brown. But the most remarkable are the leaves on the grapes. Upper leaflets of dark green color without pubescence. Leaf blades are large, rounded, slightly dissected, and wavy edges. The bush is especially beautiful in the fall, when the foliage becomes green-yellow.
That is why grapes are used in landscape design: they are decorated with arbors, porch houses, other buildings located on the territory.
The clusters are large, weighing more than a kilogram. Sometimes supergiants grow up to three kilograms. The shape of the grape brush is conical. The berries are tightly pressed against each other, so never clusters are loose.Attention! The density of the brushes causes some difficulties in the care. In order for the berries not to rot, they need to thin out.
Berries are slightly elongated egg-shaped, weighing up to 15 grams. They inherited the external signs from the Arkady variety. The size of the berries is 3,3x2 cm. It is clearly visible on the photo.
Berries with juicy and tender flesh, sweet in taste. The finish is nutmeg, bright, easy to remember. Thin, but dense skin with streaks - one more of advantages.
In the technical ripeness of the berries with a pale pink hue, and glow in the sun. Grapes raisin Sofia little seed variety. In berries there are no more than two seeds. They are soft, look like rudiments. Some fruits have no stones at all.
Variety Sofia has only female flowers, so it requires pollinator plants. In order not to cause pollination, which can lead to the loss of varietal qualities, the Arcadia bush should be located near the site.
Flowering in grapes is long. The pistils of flowers keep moisture for a long time, so all the flowers are pollinated: there are no peas in clusters.
Successful fruiting requires not only pollinating plants, but also proper care, in particular, pruning shrubs. Shoots that give fruit, need to be shortened by 4-8 buds.
Sofia grapes - high-yielding variety. It is all a matter of strong-growing shrub on which all the shoots ripen at the same time. Due to this, food comes in the required quantities. And if the grapes are grown in regions with a long light day and a sufficient amount of sun, then a high and stable crop is ensured.
Based on the description of the Sofia grape variety, one can name the characteristic features, point out the pros and cons.
- Terms of ripening. Grapes belong to the early ripening varieties.
- Taste features. Berries have a delicate, sweet taste with hints of nutmeg.
- Growing conditions. Sofia is a frost-resistant grape that can winter at temperatures as low as -21 degrees when grown in southern regions. In more severe climatic conditions it is necessary to cover the vine.
- Drought. Good fruit in arid climates at high temperatures. If the heat is a long time, it is necessary to cover the clusters with grape leaves.
- Survival rate Own-rooted seedlings quickly grab the soil.
- Marketable condition. Grape clusters are attractive in appearance, carry transport well. That is why the Sophia variety is grown by farmers for sale.
- Application. Berries are good fresh and for processing into juice.
- Excellent immunity. Bushes are not affected by many grape diseases or they are mild due to the ability of the vines to fight them. This oidium, powdery mildew, various types of rot. But for reliability you need to apply preventive measures.
Despite the advantages, the variety has disadvantages:
- The presence of only female flowers can lead to over-pollination by other grape varieties located one meter from Sofia.
- Grapes are prone to gray rot.
- Over-grown berries can crack.
- The high density of the bunch contributes to the rotting of the berries.
- Overripe berries are poorly kept on the bunch, crumble.
The secret of large berries
As gardeners note in the reviews, the Sophia variety does not belong to unpretentious plants. Behind him need special care, then the berries will be large, and the clusters will not peg. We will reveal to the future growers some secrets:
- During flowering, it is necessary to artificially pollinate the grapes. To do this, use the puff. Thanks to this procedure, the density of the bunch increases.
- On the bush you need to leave no more than 30 brushes. A larger number of clusters leads to small berries.
- It is necessary to monitor the number of rudiments formed. If a lot of them, it is necessary to thin out. It is not necessary to pity the ovary, otherwise, due to too much density, some of the berries will begin to rot.
- If some berries in the bunch are lagging behind in development, then during the pouring they need to be removed so that they do not delay the nutrients.
- The plant must be sprayed from gray rot, so as not to spoil the appearance of the bunch and taste.
- Large and tasty berries grow with regular feeding.
Sofia is a unique plant because it can be propagated in various ways:
- by vaccination.
For grafting using the stock, which ripened wood. The effect of this method in the presence of an excellent root system. Fruiting begins a full year earlier.Important! As a stock, tall grape varieties are used so that the plant will not lose this quality in the future.
At reproduction by layers, the most productive bush with a powerful and strong shoot is chosen. It is laid horizontally on the surface and sprinkled with fertile soil. So that the layouts do not rise, they pin it down. During rooting, it is necessary to monitor the condition of the soil: drying is not allowed. When there are good roots on the layers, it can be transplanted to a permanent place.
The seed method of breeding Sophia grapes is more durable, but the result is always positive.
As follows from the description and characteristics of the variety, any gardener can grow it. Care is almost identical with other varieties of grapes. But you need to take into account some features:
- Sofia reacts negatively to a large number of nitrogen-containing drugs. But phosphorus-potassium supplements allow the bush to develop perfectly, to bear fruit in time and give a rich harvest.
- When growing grapes in regions where temperatures drop below -21 degrees, you need to think about the right shelter for the winter.
- During prolonged heat bunches can be damaged, so they are covered with grape leaves.
- The formation of stable yields contributes to the proper formation of the bush. Cut the vine every year. On the bush leave no more than eight eyes. Overload reduces the weight of bunches.
- Sophia grapes must be watered abundantly before, during flowering and during the berry season. When the berries begin to ripen, you need to be careful with watering. A large amount of water leads to cracking of berries.
Diseases and pests
The description indicates that Sofia grapes are resistant to many diseases and pests. But you still need to make every effort to get a rich harvest of large berries with a delicate taste.
The most dangerous pests for planting grapes are wasps and birds, lovers to eat sweet berries. Damaged fruits begin to rot, causing the presentation of goods to deteriorate. You can escape from the birds with the help of nets, which are thrown on the bushes, or each bunch to be hidden in plastic bags.
With regards to wasps, they cause a lot of problems. First, it is necessary to survey the territory in search of wasp nests. Found insect settlements burned. Secondly, it is desirable to hang velcro baits on the bushes.
Hope for disease resistance is not worth it if the site grows different grape varieties. In any case, preventive treatments with Bordeaux liquid, karbofos, vitriol, and other special preparations will be required.
ReviewsVladimir, 45, Krasnodar Territory. I have been growing a long time since I have several bushes. Clusters weighing a little more than a kilogram. Perhaps there would be more, but during the period of fertilization, I cut off part of the ovary to lower the density of the bunch. If this procedure is not performed, some of the berries under the pressure of "sisters" will still be damaged, burst. The taste of the variety is excellent. The children wait — they won't wait for Sofia to be ready.
Svetlana, 29 years old, Moscow region. Grape variety very much. I have three bushes growing next to the gazebo. To give a decorative effect, I cut off the extra leaves with manicure scissors. The harvest is stable, but the wasps are annoying. We have to pull plastic bags. I cover the bushes for the winter, as the temperature drops have a negative effect. The first year is not covered, lost plants. I had to buy new seedlings.Vyacheslav, 56 years old, Ryazan I have a complicated relationship with grapes: nothing happens. Tried to grow and Sophia. It seems to do everything according to the rules, I advise with my neighbor - everything is useless. Now I buy delicious bunches from my neighbor for my grandchildren.